Re: [TowerTalk] Strength of Screw-in Anchors in Rocky Soil?

To: "Patrick Barkey" <n9rvee@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strength of Screw-in Anchors in Rocky Soil?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:26:38 -0700
At 10:57 AM 8/13/2007, Patrick Barkey wrote:
>Does anyone have any data or insight about the holding power of screw
>in anchors in rocky soil?  My experience with the big ones (that use
>a power auger to install) in the clay of Indiana was very good.  But
>here the soil is of much poorer quality and full of rocks and boulders.
>
>You can still get them in, but I was wondering if I shouldn't trust them
>as much?
>
>I am talking about the anchors with a 10-12 inch helix.

Ask the folks at AB Chance, who make the anchors.  I'll bet they've
got a whole databook full of "pull out strength vs soil" stuff...

Might even be online.

They use them here in Southern California for telephone and power
pole guys in exceedingly rocky soil, so clearly they must work ok, at
least for some applications.