Re: [TowerTalk] Tower intervention

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower intervention
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:28:38 -0400

> Howdy, all --
>
>    I just attended the Pacific NW DX Convention this  past weekend and Joe
> Rudi, NK7U, was scheduled to give a talk - along with K7ZSD  and VE7SV -
> on
> building a multi-op station. Joe was sick in bed and Ward, N0AX,  an op at
> Joe's,
> filled in. It was very interesting to see the differences in  philosophy
> and
> execution in each of these stations.
>
>    The most interesting thing I found out was that  Joe's family had a
> tower
> intervention on him. As you know, Joe rode a tower down  not too long ago
> and
> got pretty banged up in the process. Thank  goodness he came out okay. His
> family told him his climbing days are over  but he can put up crank-ups.
> So

It depends on the individual's physical and mental condition, but the term
"family intervention" raises the hair on the back of my neck.

I've flown for many years and climbed towers far longer than that. The only
way my family would ever say yes or no would be if I had lost my
judgemental capability and I've seen that happen to a number of individuals.
I would never dream of interferring with my kids lives or they with mine,
yet we all offer help if we think it's needed and one one takes offense.
None of them or my wife even questioned or commented on my continued flying
after having a complete engine failure on climb out in a high
performance/complex/retract, nor have any of them said anything about me
getting back to climbing after a recent, major illness.

My "first wife" thought she could tell me what to do. My second wife (of
more than 23 years) has faith in my judgement.

> that's the reason he'll be building his fourth  station in Baker City and
> only
> using crank-up towers.

OTOH I do wish I had a pair of 70' crank ups instead of the big 100 foot
tower holding the big array.

>    For Sale in Baker City, OR: 6 or so  towered competitive multi-op
> station
> and lovely house with amazing view.  Less than a million bucks!!!!!!
>
>    I guess the moral of the story is to be safe or  lose your erection.
> Wise
> words.

And never trust any one, be they family, friends, or government who make
decisions  for you because it's "for your own good".

Roger (K8RI)