Re: [TowerTalk] Effect of lightning discharge on drought-edground system

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Effect of lightning discharge on drought-edground system
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:38:38 -0700
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 06:17:39 -0400, David J Windisch wrote:

>I have almost 2 miles of radials and a circle of 8' rods around my tower,
>all connected at the tower base.

First, the smaller the circle, the more inductive interaction there is between
the rods, reducing their total effectiveness. In general, rods should be spaced
at least a distance equal to their length, and more is better.

>The soil even at 3-4' down is powdery-dry.

Don't expect a very low impedance to earth. :)  Probably tens of ohms.

There is some discussion of ground systems in the Power and Grounding tutorial
and the RFI tutorial on my website.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish

73,

Jim K9YC