Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Question

To: jeremy-ca <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Question
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:03:20 -0700
Carl, you pretty much avoided Steve's question.  What rotator failure
mode is minimized by having two thrust bearings above the rotator?   Can
you give any examples of your YCCC buddies that would back up your
comments?  It would be interesting to hear their experiences first hand.

I recently ordered a tower, rotator, and fairly large antenna system ...
and both of the tower manufacturers I investigated strongly recommended
against using two thrust bearings (at least if both were secured to the
mast) for the same reasons Steve mentioned.  A single thrust bearing at
the top of the tower makes sense, but a simple plate inside the tower
with a hole in it facilitates the task of replacing the rotator (which
is a separate issue anyway).

So why does a rotator want to have that second thrust bearing?

Dave  AB7E