Re: [TowerTalk] Rig on Second Floor - Grounding

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rig on Second Floor - Grounding
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:45:57 -0700
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:32:12 -0400, D. Scott MacKenzie wrote:

>How is the best way to achieve an RF ground?  Any suggestions on
an
>electrical ground?  Remember - he is on the second floor.

Hi Scott. I suggest that you download and study two tutorials on
my website that address your issues.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

See the Appendix on grounding.

On the publications section of my website is a tutorial on power
and grounding for pro audio. It has a lot of detail about what
grounding is all about.

The short answer is:

1) ALL grounds should be bonded together by the shortest path (low
inductance) and beefy conductors (low resistance).

2) Your power system is required by code to be bonded at the
service entrance (where the power comes in). That ground comes up
to your shack in the form of a green wire at the AC outlet (the
third pin). The green wire in the power cord to your radio's power
supply goes to the chassis of the power supply.

3) You should have the shortest practical ground path for your
antenna. That should be to a driven rod. That driven rod MUST be
bonded to the power system ground by the shortest possible path.

4) Your shack needs an EARTH connection ONLY for lightning
protection. It does not reduce noise, it does not make your radio
work better.

5) It is unsafe, illegal, and of no benefit to have SEPARATE
grounds. You can have MORE grounds (earth connections), but to be
SAFE and LEGAL, they must all be bonded together.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC