[TowerTalk] Single boom solution

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Single boom solution
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:50:02 -0400
TT:

This is a planning/brainstorming question, with a time-horizon of 12-14
months.
Sometime next Summer, if things go as anticipated.  This is an
antenna question, not tower.  The question is a single boom vs
multi-boom solution.  There are two use cases:

I can put up one 70' tower in this community.  50% setback.  80mph
wind rqmt for my county.  While I'd like a motorized crankup, which
allows me to set the antenna height appropriately for any given band,
it's likely to be a fixed height tower.

So...the antenna question:

1)  use case #1:  3 el SteppIR, plus 2 el CC 40 above it.
        steppir @ 60, 40 @ 70.  Have a 2el 30 design to slide
        into the 40m boom.

2)  use case #2:  3 el SteppIR with 30/40 DE. This would be
        at 70' Doesn't excite me.  Would like 2 el on both 30/40.

So...the question is, what might be a reasonable single boom
scenario around the steppIR?  Convince the Mertel's to make a
2 el 30/40 using their folded DE?  This idea would have TWO DE's,
one for 30/40, the other for 20-6.  One could retract the unused
antenna, to avoid interaction.  Admittedly, bandswitching in that
scenario would be slow.

So...what would your approach be?

N2EA