[TowerTalk] Tower Regalvanize

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Regalvanize
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:32:48 -0400
A short time ago,  I had some tower sections regalvanized.  They were not in
bad shape, but I thought I would recoat them before installing the tower,
thinking I would have a tower that looked new again.   I had the work done
at a local galvanizer and at first glance they look good.  Now they have
been sitting outside for several weeks I can see areas of red rust.  After
galvanizing, they apparently carelessly used a grinder to remove the spurs
and sharp edges and in some areas they ground to the base metal.  I called
the galvanizer and he said this is no big deal and to just spray it with
zinc enriched paint.  I stated if you didn't grind it there would have been
no problem and he stated they are required by an ANSI spec to remove sharp
edges.  Nearly all of the rusted areas are on the cross braces and there are
only several bad area on each section.  However, since I paid for hot dip
galvanizing I am unhappy with just spraying it with paint.  The company is
claiming this is standard practice and allowed by ANSI.  I have used
galvanizers before without incidence.  Has anyone else had similar
experiences?  Does anyone know what the galvanizing specifications are and
with is and is not acceptable?  Right now the company is reluctant to
correct this problem.

John KK9A