[TowerTalk] 25G insulator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 25G insulator
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:31:17 +0000
A year or so ago I saw the Rohn 25G base insulator for sale from a vendor
somewhere on the web.  This was the single point commercial broadcast type
ceramic oil filled insulator which is what I think steve is looking for; not
the leg insulators sold to hams.   Now I can't find it.  My guess is that
Rohn sold so few of these, not many were made and maybe they discontinued
them.  You can still get the base taper section however, for around $1300.
Part no. 25TGA:

http://www.cox-antenna.com/proddetail.asp?prod=25TGA

this vendor mentions a RACAL DECCA A4197L base insulator.  perhaps that's
the part no. that was given earlier.

incidentally, this vendor also has the Rohn 30, 40 and 50 foot push-up
masts:
http://www.cox-antenna.com/telescopingmast.asp

There was talk here a week or so ago about taking a top section and turning
it upside down.  Besides the earlier reasons giving for not doing that,
another is that real taper base sections are usually designed to be jacked
up (I'm not sure if the 25TGA is or not though) in case the insulator needs
to be swapped out.   A crew from a firm that does AM tower maintenance will
place hydraulic jacks around the base and raise the tower a few inches,
enough to get the insulator out and put a new one in before slowly lowering
the tower.  Obviously this is way better than taking the whole thing down.
I went through the Rohn catalog from 2004 and did not see the insulator but
I did not page through it completely.  It might be in there and I missed it.
  It is available as a big pdf file here:

http://www.criticaltowers.com/ROHN%20Industries/2005%20Catalogs/catalog_downloads.htm

73

rob / k5uj