[TowerTalk] Lightening protection - HF-VHF-rotator

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightening protection - HF-VHF-rotator
From: "David Weiss" <kb3ooo@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 07:46:22 -0500
I would like to get some real world knowledge about the use of gas tube lightening protectors. Some of the names out here are Polyphaser, Alpha Delta and DX engineering. Some of the units are "multistrile" and some have replacable gasFET tubes. I was suprised that some of the units are not weatherized as in the case of the Polyphaser unit flange mounted.

I hope to have a 6M Yagi mounted over a C3SS F 12 Yagi and a HamIV mounted on the rotor base.

I would like some feedback on your experiences with these protection devices. I have four eight foot ground rods around the concrete pad ready to connect to a rotor base (very heavy duty constructed of gaklvanized steel.) The coax runs are aproximately 130 feet from the shack on the second floor of the house.

Grounding all of the equipment together is another concern.

Thoughts, help and experience is needed.

73

Dave K3FT

It?s the Windows Live? Hotmail® you love ? on your phone! http://www.windowsmobile.com/hotmailmobile?ocid=MobileHMTagline_2