Re: [TowerTalk] LMR400-PL259s

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR400-PL259s
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:11:51 -0400

>I can never under stand why guys spend big bucks on LMR-400 (which is a
>wise

400?  I went with LMR-600 as it's present price is only a bit more than what
I paid for many hundreds of feet of 9913 back in the mid 80's. I replaced
all of that old 9913 with LMR-400 and am now moving to LMR-600.  Genuine LMR
40 and 600 are not all that bad when purchased a 1000 feet at a time.

I use the "good" silver plated "crimp" connectors (both N and UHF) which are
quite inexpensive for LMR-400.  They are about $10 each for the LMR-600
N-type. I always solder the center pin of the UHF connectors even though
they are crimp.

> choice) and then go out and try to save 50 cents on a crappy cheesy
> connector.  "Splurge" on the Amphenol!  They're all I ever use on all  my
> coax.

I've even come up with a "bad" batch of Amphenols a couple of times.
Basically the problem was threads not being clean.  The type that "squeak"
or bind as you tighten them.  Sometimes a tiny drop of Silicone dielectric
grease applied to the beginning threads will take care of this. Just make
sure not to get it on anything you don't want it on. It'll "stick proof"
anything.<:-))

Good luck,

Roger (K8RI)