Re: [TowerTalk] Insulator Placement - A Releated Thought

To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insulator Placement - A Releated Thought
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 20:42:38 -0400 (EDT)
Bob is correct about the diode effects potentially caused by guy wire
attachments to towers.  Guy tension helps to reduce the probability of a
serious problem, but for multi operator and single operator two transmitter
stations the RF noise caused by bad joints is a potentially important issue.

The best solutions are:
   non-conductive guys,
   electrically bonding the guy wire to the tower.
   insulator shackles to place the insulator inches from the tower, or
   placement of the first insulator within a few feet of the tower.

The more guy wires you have, the more likely the RFI problem is.  Perhaps the
highest RFI risk is on a vertical radiator where the fields are intense at the
guy wire-to-tower interface.

73!
Frank
W3LPL