[TowerTalk] Delorme data bases

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Delorme data bases
From: "William B. Stacy" <wstacy@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:29:43 -0500
I have been using Delorme Topo USA for years, both when I was in Wyoming and
here in Oklahoma.  (I never could figure out how to make MicroDEM play.  Too
many interlocking downloads, I guess.)

In Topo, you can set your QTH and then draw a radial toward a point of
interest such as EU.  Then you can get a plot of the terrain in that
direction.  The resolution is really, really fine.  This sure beats the
daylights out of using a USGS topo map and a ruler to work out the contours.

Beyond a certain point, Topo gives distances in miles, so I set up an Excel
spreadsheet to convert to feet.  (I could have used meters, I know.)  Then I
copied the Excel data and pasted it in a Notebook file that I saved with the
extension .pro.

Beware: HFTA is addictive.  ;-)

73, Bill, N5TU

Message: 4