Re: [TowerTalk] Exploding Foundations

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Exploding Foundations
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:55:43 -0700
Hi, Jim.

I think we mostly agree here.  You make a good devil's advocate, though ;)

Regarding copper corrosion, if the ground environment was as extreme as
you say, my guess is that any ground rods (copper plated steel) would
disappear long before the wires do.  Alkaline soil looks very much like
concrete for ph, and strongly acidic soil will probably attack copper no
matter what.

I've heard the concern about dissimilar expansion/contraction of a
copper wire versus the concrete before, and that doesn't make any sense
to me either.  Concrete is typically loaded with micro-cracks (and many
not-so-micro-cracks).  Shrinkage cracks that occur while curing are
going to generate far more and larger ingress paths into the bulk
concrete than whatever might form around the wire, but you also have the
stress over time caused by the tower itself.  Imagine what kind of
forces (vibration and flexural) are imparted to the foundation by a tall
tower in a wind storm.  Concrete is phenomenally strong in compression,
reasonably strong in shear, but is unreliably weak in tension.  That's
why rebar is required to hold it together.  But if you want to focus on
expansion/contraction differences, the larger tower legs will create
larger gaps to the concrete than the smaller wire, even taking into
account the volumetric differences in expansion coefficients between
steel and copper.

73,
Dave   AB7E