Re: [TowerTalk] TM-358 re-stringing

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jjklemm@usfamily.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TM-358 re-stringing
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:59:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/2007 5:52:50 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am looking for info to replace the drive pulley assembly  and the
take up pulley assembly on my TM-358. I am also looking for  detailed
recable procedures. Photos, instruction sheets any  information that
might help. Also any work that should be done if I  need to tip tower
over. How do I know when cable needs replaceing?  Someone who has done
this I would love to be able to talk with if I  get a phone number.
This tower was made in 1973 or 1984. Motor  controlunit revised in
9/18/73 but from papers I have was possible  first sold in 1984.

    I can't help you with the info. Typically there  isn't any so GL. Tower
manufacturers are insurance-driven enterprises and  they're very reluctant to
provide anything - especially to AMATEURS - that  would expose them to
liability risk.

    That said, age isn't a factor in determining  whether the cables need
replacing. The actual conditions are:

1)    replace it if there are excessive broken  strands. This usually mean
over six in one place.
2)    replace it if it is kinked or deformed.
3)    replace it if it has serious rust - not the  surface kind but REAL rust.

    If you don't meet any of the above criteria,  don't worry about it. I
would strongly recommend that you use a cable  lubricant on the cables once or
twice a year (PreLube 6 is recommended by wire  rope manufacturers and is
available from _www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com) ).

    As far as your pulleys, you need to take them out  and see what you can
do. Go to the manufacturer or Grainger to get  replacements. Current crank-ups
use pressed-in sealed bearings but older ones  just used bushings.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH