Re: [TowerTalk] beam slippage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] beam slippage
From: K2EK@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:08:52 EDT
Beeswax...
Somewhere in my distant past I inherited a 4X3X2 brick of beeswax.  It has
followed me on 6 or 7 moves...  Damned if I know what to do with it!  Maybe
someday I'll wind a transformer...  More likely make a candle...

Slippage...
On a brutal ENY hilltop - Original rotator was a TX2.  Gears stripped in
about 1 month.  Replaced with a Create RB5 something.  Mast slipped.  Drilled
out
the bolt holes for 8mm grade 8.  Mast held, but now stripped the gears.
Replaced with an Orion.  6  3/8" bolts.  Broke the weld of the drive shaft to
final
gear twice.  The damn shaft eventually drilled thru the bottom casting before
I could fix it again...

Long hiatus...  Moved to FL (and now dont get out as well)...  Original TX2
is back up... Could not find the stock u-bolts.  Improvised by drilling out the
holes and now have 4   5/16" grade 8 bolts.  So far, everything is happy...
Ask me again after a hurricane...  (I still think those hilltop ENY winds were
worse, since they broke anything I ever put up)

73 de Bill
K2EK