Re: [TowerTalk] KT36XA

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT36XA
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 14:41:04 -0500
We have done several comparisons of the KT34XA and C3E. The comparisons
frequently seem to favor the C3E. Since the C3E is a much smaller and
simpler antenna I would always favor the C3E antenna - I hate maintenance. I
believe that was the reason that the KT36XA came into being. I have not seen
nor have I done any work with the KT36XA but I would be willing to bet that
the newer iteration of this antenna would be improved. It would need to be,
because the KT34XA/KT36XA is a much larger and complicated antenna with many
pieces and parts.

I don't want to get into a fight over which antenna or company is better,
etc. This info was a surprise to me when we first did the test, but it
shouldn't have been because it is fairly close to the results in "HF
Tribander Performance" book written by N0AX and K7LXC. I wish we had an
updated version of the book including newer antennas like the KT36XA and
others, but after the uproar last time, I understand why we don't.

My impression is that there are several antennas in the same size and price
category as the KT36XA that work well. If you don't have a copy of this
book, you might want to read over it.

Good luck,

Bill, W5VX