Re: [TowerTalk] Skyhawk, KT36XA, opinions requested

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Skyhawk, KT36XA, opinions requested
From: <kb5my@starband.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:34:53 -0400 (EDT)
Robert,

In the USA, a similar aluminum oxidation-prevention product is called
NOALOX.  I bought mine in the electrical section at Home Depot some time
ago and do recall seeing it there within the past year.

The KT-series antennas are trapped tribanders.  They use a combination of
linear inductors and coaxial capacitors made from aluminum tubing to form
the parallel resonant trap sections one would expect in such an antenna.
It is generally less lossy than a conventional coil/capacitor trap, but it
puts a lot of extra aluminum in the air.  They use a 2-element trapped log
cell for the driven element to improve the bandwidth, generally giving
full-band coverage and then some on all three bands with the KT-34
version, and slightly narrower bandwidth with the extended KT-36 version.
They generally work reasonably well as multi-band trap antennas go, and
being a VHF person with a lot of M2 antlers under my belt, I know that
Mike Staal makes an effort to be honest with antenna gain figures - even
on HF.

One thing to note - the current M2 construction of the KT-series is MUCH
more robust than the original KLM versions, and most, if not all of the
original issues with capacitor plastics differences, breaking element
insulators, etc. have been eliminated.  I don't own a new one, but I
helped raise and/or used several KT-34A's many years ago while I was
"seeing the world" with the US Navy.  Everybody I knew who put one up
liked them, and had no problem working the stations they wanted to work.
Will they compete head-on with a big-gun with stacked long-boom
monobanders and stacked 8877's?  Not likely - unless the conditions are
just right.

73,
Dan  KB5MY/6