Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's

To: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:03:16 -0400
2" at 432 MHz is almost .1 wavelength and becomes an impedence transformer
as you already mentioned.

If it is at the antenna end you would need a Smith chart or an asymetrical
impedence transformer formula to determine its effect. If there is
appreciable feedline loss it wouldnt even be noticable at the rig end but it
would still add nndB to the system loss. That style transformer was very
popular for use with 75 Ohm CATV feedlines and single band antennas back in
the 80's and was published in HRM and Yankee Clipper if memory serves.

For weak signal use many preamps are tuned for the lowest NF into a perfect
50 Ohm load (some are actually mismatched for lowest NF) so a 2:1 VSWR at
the preamp input will have some negative effect. Im the type who counts
every tenth of a dB at those frequencies.

Carl
KM1H