Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L for 160 Meters

To: "TowerTalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L for 160 Meters
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:17:49 -0700
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:42:49 -0700 (PDT), Lee Buller wrote:

>Very interesting 160 discussion going here.

Yes. My 160 antenna in Chicago was not very different from what Tim
describes, and I had a lot of fun with it. It was a toploaded
vertical, and the counterpoise was a wrought iron fence.

The important thing to realize about radials is that having at least
a few (or a counterpoise) is VERY important, and while having a LOT
is better, it's probably only about 6 dB better. That's a good
reason for adding radials, but it's not a reason for staying off of
160 if you can't! :)

Bottom line -- do the best you can, call CQ, and have fun.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC