Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed vs. free-standing

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed vs. free-standing
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:09:30 -0400

> In a message dated 10/15/2007 2:34:42 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
> dhearn@air-pipe.com writes:
>
> The  self
> supporting tower allows yagis to be raised vertically with ease while
> guyed
> towers require working the antenna thru the guy  wires.
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Wrong.  I and many other hams have successfully raised the antennas,  by

He said with ease and I agree.  It's far easier or takes less hassel to go
up an self-supporting tower. OTOH it's still not all that difficult to go up
a guyd tower with an antenna.

> simply dropping the guys, either one group at a time, or by dropping all
> guys  and

No way will I climb a tower without the guys in place.

Depending on the spacing between the guys you can take a mighty big antenna
up with the guys in place.
With the "Muel(s)" pulling on the raising rope, I go up the tower guiding
antenna. When I reach a set of guys I simply rotate the antenna around the
guys. The antenna only needs a turning radius slightly less than the spacing
between the guys and with a bit of judicious rotation in the horizontal
plane you can even exceed that. The most difficult part is at the top of the
tower if you already have antennas up.  They need to be high enough above
the top of the tower to be out of the way. Again, it takes a bit of
inguinity to rotate in two planes to get around the top set and not get
tangled up with higher antennas.  I've not run into problems even with large
tribanders and fairly good size monobanders.

> bringing it up the side of the tower.  Of course common sense is of
> utmost
> importance in doing so....don't do it in heavy winds and so forth.
> However,
> it can be done on towers not installed with a flat plate or pivot  bases.
>
> There are a couple of  other ways to go on this without having to  fight
> the
> guys...trams, and assembling the antennas on the tower.

Trams work well, but they are easier to use with the antennas suspended
under them rather than riding on top.

73

Roger (K8RI)