Re: [TowerTalk] falling derrick for Universal Tower raising

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Chuck Gerarden" <cgerarden@atomix.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] falling derrick for Universal Tower raising
From: "JoeCoolDXer" <JoeCoolDXer@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:17:46 -0700
The worst-case structural loads on one of these arrangements can occur when the
tower is being lowered.  You can get what engineers call a "suddenly-applied
load" which can be as much as twice the static load associated with merely the
weight and distribution of the system components.

Buddy of mine had a setup like that, 70' aluminum self supporting tower with
one tribander, and no appreciable extending mast.  His lowering technique was
to attach  the winch cable and a rope at a point 2/3, or so, up the tower,
remove the third bolt in the base (permitting tilt pivot on the other two),
back off a slight bit of slack in the winch cable, and send his assistant (me)
out to pull on the rope to get it started tilting.

Well, one day he provided a bit excessive slack in the winch cable and when I
pulled on the rope, I observed the tower didn't immediately stop and I quickly
dove for cover out of the line of fire.  When I looked up, the tower was
arrested at an angle of 50-60 degrees from the horizontal, and was oscillating
about the winch cable connection point, with an amplitude of a couple of feet
in the middle of the unsupported length, and at the top :
Boing-oing-oing-oing.   Big-time loads on the system, but fortunately it all
held together with no damage.  Buddy was LHFAO.