[TowerTalk] Ground Conductivity - Was:Re: Inverted L for 160 meters

To: Ken Bessler <kg0wx@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Conductivity - Was:Re: Inverted L for 160 meters
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:56:50 -0400
I wonder if anyone knows how much ground conductivity varies within the
broad contours shown on the USGS map?  For example, my area of West
Virginia is listed in the 2 millisiemen countour, probably because much of
the area is karst geology with only a narrow skin of soil over
limestone.  However, the area where my tower is footed is an ancient river
bed, with 6-7 feet of usually moist soil.  It seems (from experience only)
to be rather better than the general expectation of poor ground.  I presume
that the depth of soil needed depends in some large part on the skin depth
at the frequency of interest, but how far from a vertical antenna does soil
conductivity continue to affect field strength?

73, Pete N4ZR