[TowerTalk] [NitPickTalk] Inverted L for 160 Meters

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] [NitPickTalk] Inverted L for 160 Meters
From: "Tim Cotton, N4UM" <N4UM@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:50:52 -0400
Brett:

I mentioned nothing about radials in my post to Tom.  I guess you assumed I
was talking about radials instead of radiators.  perhaps I should have made
that more clear. In fact, I use NO radials on any of my verticals.  I find
that 4 by 8 foot sheets of copper in the salt water beneath my verticals,
base fed slopers and my inverted L make adequate grounds.  I just finished
working C52C about an hour ago on my first call thru a pileup on 160 with
100 watts and NO radials.  We don't need no stinkin radials...I was simply
responding to Tom's question about how the 165-175 foot length was arrived
at for 160 meter inverted L's.  I responded in terms of raising the
radiation resistance but failed to mention the notion that the higher
current portion of the antenna is elevated.  Golly, Miss Scarlett...I don't
know nuffin bout runnin no radials.