Re: [TowerTalk] 45g anti-climb

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 45g anti-climb
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:44:27 -0400

> On 22 Oct 2007 at 13:49, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>

>> > How about you cut three sections of 8' marine plywood, and fasten
>> > them to
>>
>> Use, treated, exterior and then give a couple coats of paint after a
>> good priming. The stuff is ugly until painted and may have a few
>> knots, but treated and painted shold last a long time Use a couple
>> pieces of angle (aluminum or steel) fastened on the inside to set on
>> the cross braces to hold it up.
>
> First of all make sure that your pressure treated lumber is very dry.
> Water is the vehicle to
> get the chemicals into the wood to preserve it, so the water has to get
> out before the primer

I used an acrylic, latex (water based) primer with a fungacide, let dry for
about 3 days and then applied a acrylic latex finish coat.  Nary a bit of
peeling. IIRC I used two coats of the primer as the stuff soaked in like a
sponge. It took a lot of primer.

> and paint goes on or else if will peel!  Use a very slow dry alkyd primer.
> Sometimes referred
> to as a long dry oil primer.  The stuff stinks to high heaven, but it will
> do the job.  Give it a
> good 24 hours dry (high humidity will slow the drying time), then use a
> high quality Gloss
> 100% acrylic exterior house paint.

I gave it three *hot* summer days.<:-))

73