Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Incident Survey

To: 'Phil Camera' <kb9cry@comcast.net>,"'Towertalk@Contesting. Com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Incident Survey
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:50:34 -0600
To answer the below question first ... your question is can form another
survey ... those who died using a full body harness and fall arrest
lanyard as intended in a fall from a tower.

Not sure what you expect from this survey.  Those who died using a full
body
harness and fall arrest lanyard as intended probably won't contribute.

The Question:  Has your life been saved by you using a full body harness
and fall arrest lanyard as intended?

Let me try and clarify The Question:  Has your life been saved by using
a full body harness and fall arrest lanyard as intended in a fall
incident?
If you were wearing the above equipment and fell from the tower, and
obviously survived would you respond to this survey?

Doug

There's many ways to answer this.

My full body harness saves my life every time I go up the tower.

It does when I attach my positioning lanyard and let go with both hands
from the tower.

The pos. lanyard is attached to my harness and so if I wasn't wearing
that, I'd fall.

Now, no I've never had the opportunity to try out my shock absorbing
fall arrest lanyard.....

and there's nothing statistically significant or non-significant about
that.

It just means that I've been very careful when working on a tower.

Have I ever suffered a leg cramp up top and needed to rest/work it out?
Yes.

Have I ever been stung by a wasp while up top?  Yes.

Has an antenna/piece of equipment ever somewhat become out of position
and required my full effort without
regard to my own position on the tower?  Yes

Have I ever had a handhold or foothold slip while ascending?  No   While
descending?  Yes

Have I ever had to quickly grab onto the tower and rest while my pucker
factor subsided?  Yes

Remember, it's that last foot of a fall that hurts.  So it doesn't
matter how high up you started.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
23/10/2007 1:26 PM