Re: [TowerTalk] found a used tower

To: mjpc48@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] found a used tower
From: "Scott McClements" <kc2pih@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:34:47 -0400
http://www.radiancorp.com/ROHNNET/rohnnet2001/catalog/pdfs/selfsupport/SSV-13.pdf

I think you are right. I am scratching my head over the 3.3sq/ft
rating @ 80MPH.

Can a number like this be compared reasonably to that of an aluminum
tower, by say, Universal Towers?

Looking in the Texas Towers catalog they say the Universal HD1680
Tower can handle 16sq/ft @ 110MPH.  I am not looking to start the big
debate over steel vs. aluminum -  ignoring advantages/disadvantages of
the two metals - can it really be true the Universal is so much
"stronger"?

I am looking to put up no more than a 4 element monobander - maybe
Steppir - on my tower. 30 foot boom or so (10-15 sq/ft max).

Is a Rohn SSV 4N -1W enough tower for that setup? I've had my eye on a
Universal HD1680 or HD2170 for awhile - is that really a better choice
than the Rohn? I am located in the mid-hudson valley of New York.
Winters are not overly harsh and wind at my location is usually
minimal.

-Scott, WU2X