Re: [TowerTalk] elevation-angle statistical files for YT

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevation-angle statistical files for YT
From: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 07:30:25 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Dennis,

  Yeah, I know that 1 degree is pretty difficult to get to, I've sure never had
an antenna that gave me much at 1 degree.  But... I'm looking at a new house
and its kind of a bummer to see an elevation over there and know that you can't
punch anything through it at lower then about 2.5 degrees or so!

  I wrote up a little more of an explanation of what I'm up to for another
fella that replied to me.  Thought I'd paste it in here and see if it draws any
additonal comments.

  A little more explanation on design objective. I'm looking at a house in the
Black Hills that is about a mile west of an elevation that's about 500' higher
then the house. Looking at YT it looks like that elevation is going to pretty
much eliminate any low angle radiation below about 2.5degress and I figure
that's going to be a huge dx disadvantage in that direction (east). But, I'm
trying to figure out if there is a disadvantage for stateside qsos and contests.

  My understanding is that the YT W0-CO-US elevation angle statistics reflect
the percentage of time for an opening from CO to the rest of the US for each
elevation angle. It shows that the 1 and 2 degree elevation angles are open to
the rest of the US about as much as the rest of the higher elevation angles. I
assume that means that there would be a certain percentage of openings to the
rest of the US that I would not be able to take advantage of if I have no very
low angle radiation. On the other hand the W0-ND-US and W0-IA-US statistics
show absolutely no openings from these locations to the rest of the US at the 1
thru 3 degree elevation angles. I assume that means that from these locations,
for US/North America contacts and contests, there would be pretty much no
disadvantage to not having any antenna radiation at the 1 to 3 degree elevation
angle. So, if my Black Hills location mimics the ND and IA statistics there is
no harm being a mile from that big elevation. But
 if it mimics the CO statistics I am losing a certain percentage of openings to
the east. And... it surprised me there is so much difference in the statistics
between CO and ND/IA being that they're in the same general geographic area.

  My objective is that even if BH location is not great for world wide
contesting I might be able to have a decent NA sprint/NA QSO Party/Nov SS
contesting station!

  Thanks for any comments,
  Gary

Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com> wrote:
  A 1 degree response angle on low bands is fantasy... I would not use that
criteria as my guide for a location...

denny / k8do

Gary Slagel/N0SXX
Lakewood, CO