Re: [TowerTalk] congrete filled steel for tower base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] congrete filled steel for tower base
From: <nb7v@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 00:15:38 +0000
Ken,  To be quite straight to the point: The cost of cuting the 5/8"thick steel
x 2' tube filled with concrete, Boring the hole ( 24" tube will not EASILY
slide into a 24" hole) and will need a large amount of concrete to stabilize it
anyway. add a small crane to set it ( it has to be perfectly Plumb to go in the
hole and is verrrry heavy) Even when doing this all yourself, Just the cost of
equipment rental will be far more than doing the base as the manufacture
suggests.
Be safe the Manufacturer did engineering on the tower base for a reason.

Dave  NB7V
General contractor 27 years
Montana, the last best place
> From: lclarks@nc.rr.com> To: towertalk@contesting.com> Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007
> 16:15:47 -0500> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] congrete filled steel for tower
> base> > Ken> I think that was called the "wonder post" Aluma uses it now it
> 6" diameter and 14 ft long, 6 ft in> the ground wit out ant concrete. I have
> one with a 75 ft hd crank up and its great, its been up 5> years now, of
> course the clay here is like concrete. The tower only weighs 290 lbs.> > 73
> Larry K1ZW> > > -----Original Message-----> From:
> towertalk-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com] On
> Behalf Of> k2ek@aol.com> Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 2:07 PM> To:
> towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] congrete filled steel for
> tower base> > Ken> My first tower was a 50 foot crank-up crank-over by
> E-Z-Way.?? It mounted on a steel pole...?> roughly?10-12 inches in diameter.?
> 9 feet or so above ground level that connected to the tower?via a> hinge.? It
> went?a it over 4 feet into the gro
 und.? There were 4 plates welded at right angles at> the?bottom and a?foot
below ground level.? It worked fine with a Classic 33 tri-bander.? I'd think>
that pipe of yours is plenty, even if not structural steel.> > 73 de Bill>
K2EK?> > > -----Original Message-----> From: KLM <cassrvp@telus.net>> To:
towertalk@contesting.com> Sent: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 11:32 am> Subject: [TowerTalk]
congrete filled steel for tower base> > > > Hi all, I have a tr ex 51' crank up
I am going to srrect. I live a long way from any concrete supply> and am
looking for a way around the big expense of delivery. > Earlier, I salvaged a
large steel tube 24" across with 5/8" walls by 20' long. > from another
project. It is already filled with concrete. My plan is to auger a 24" hole in
the> ground as deep as possible (6 to 8') , cut the tube, insert it and use it
for my base. I would weld> brackets directly to the 5/8 plate on the top to
bolt the legs to. I could mix enough concrete for> a shallow pad around
  it. What do you think of this idea? the tower would be directly grounded>
through the tube right into the water table. Is there a concern for lightning
strikes in the base or> any other potential problems anyone can see? It would
certainly be grounded well ! ...any guidance> appreciated.> > TNX in advance>
Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces.
It's easy!