[TowerTalk] 40 mtr vertical in the city

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 mtr vertical in the city
From: Eduardo Montana <edmontana@prosontap.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 22:51:51 -0500
Hi all! new to the group; hope you can help me make the best of the
situation here.

Small city lot, backyard is 50 wide by about 40 deep from the house.

I have a 54 ft crank up tower in the center width-wise, 10 ft from the
house (about 30 from the back fence) with a HyGain 204 BA on top.
I have a 2 story house with a roof at about 25 ~ 30 ft, roof slope less
than 45 degrees, house is about 40 ft wide.
I have a vertical 1/4 wave vertical, 34 foot, by Zero-Five (FANTASTIC
construction http://www.zerofive-antennas.com/) this is completely
self-supporting.

Main interest is DX, repeat DX.

Options as I see them:
1) Mount it tower top
pros: "out of the way and in the clear", a choice if I can "load" the
204 BA and use it as a shortened "counterpoise".
cons: tricky at best to do, if not done correctly = poor performance

2) Mount it roof top
pros: "in the clear" easier to build radials. Can I use chicken wire or
aluminum foil in the attic for this?
cons: closer to the house, I don't want TVI and the like, etc.

3) Mount it on the ground
pros: easy, I can use lots of radials that do not need to be "tuned"
cons: it'll have to be somewhere close to the tower, enter tuning
nightmare, houses in the back, front and sides. Intuitively "not in the
clear".

Help appreciated!

Eduardo.