Re: [TowerTalk] DIN Connectors You Can't Solder To

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIN Connectors You Can't Solder To
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:59:21 -0500
I was getting connectors to make up cables to hook my 897D to the computer
and the Tokyo Ht-Power HL-1.5Kfx amp. The 897D uses the 8 pin mini-din while
the 1.5Kfx uses the standard din. The 1.5Kfx comes with cables to connect
the full size rigs, but not the small rigs that use the mini-din.

I found the connectors at several dealers, but started looking for cables. I
found  a number of cables available from Amazon and others that were cheaper
than a single connector. As I had several "cheap" regular DINs around here,
I purchased the cables so I didn't have to solder the mini connectors.  So
far I've never run into a full size DIN I couldn't solder, but I have seen
the plastic soften if it wasn't a fast job.

Rather than a temp controlled iron I use it hot. In fast and out quick. I
tin the leads, put a drop of solder in the connector, put the tip of the
tinned lead against the center of the pin, let cool,  apply heat just long
enough to the top edge of the pin for the wire to penetrate. The final
operation takes about 3 seconds if that.

Roger (K8RI)