Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler 6BTV vs Steppir Big IR Vertical on 80m

To: Richard Thorne <rmthorne@suddenlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler 6BTV vs Steppir Big IR Vertical on 80m
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:14:46 -0700

I have to agree with Jim, N2EA.  Add some top loading wires (more short
ones is better than fewer long ones) to your existing 32 foot vertical,
build an L-network tuner for the base, and make sure you have a very
good radial system.  You'll put out a better signal than the 6BTV, and
equal or better than the BiggIR at far less cost.  If you need a wide
bandwidth for 75m SSB, make the L-network coil adjustable with a relay
or two.

For what it may be worth, I've found that EZNEC models top loading wires
pretty well so you should be able to get pretty close the first try, and
there are web sites and free software programs (such as TLW that comes
with the ARRL Antenna Book) that will calculate the L-network for you.

73,
Dave  AB7E