[TowerTalk] Maine Winters

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Maine Winters
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:02:33 -0500
I know LXC is going to stop this thread soon. But I have to chime in
as I lived in Maine for four years (66-70) and would go back in a
nano-second if I didn't live in my second choice heaven, NH.

Maine winters are not that bad except to someone who has never
wintered up here in the NE.  Yesterday's storm is a good example. The
local news outlets were in "storm mode" preempting the Today show and
Good Morning America for "special storm coverage." In reality,
schools were closed, power was on, the plows were out and grocery
stores open for business. Yet, one might think our world was
collapsing from the "eye witness" reports from I93, I91, I495, Rt
3....you get the picture.

In today's news, there was a report from UNH stating that over the
last 40 years, our temps have gone up slightly and our average snow
falls have decreased slightly.  I have seen temps in the -30 degree
range and the winters of 68 and 69 were particularly snowy with
several back-to-back blizzards. I have also seen some of the most
spectacular aurora's ever seen south of the polar regions.

Way Down East is a lovely place to be except if you are looking for
amenities.  The air is freshly scented with spruce and fir. In the
dark of the night, you can see for billions of miles as you gaze up
in to the sky. Coyotes sing. In the summer, loon's plaintiff cry
carries for miles in the morning dew. If you sneak up to the bog, you
may be rewarded with a moose or two grazing in the watercress.  Mt
Katahdin and Baxter State park are not that far away, nor is the
Allagash Wilderness and some of the most beautiful country in the US
of A. You are also not far from Canada which is a lovely country to
visit (my daughter is at Mt Allison University which is a great
school choice for those of you with soon to be college aged kids.) Eh!

I swore that after getting out of the military, I would never live
south of the Mason-Dixon line again. It gets too hot and humid for
me. Ft Bragg got me going and Ft Gordon drove the last nail in. I
also like to ski and there's not a lot of that down south.

So let's end this thread waxing nostalgic for the choices we have
made and enjoy where we are.

PS The Maine State Bird is the Black Fly

PPS The State of Maine was doing a survey of the state border one
year and came to a farmer's house. They knocked and Silas came to the door.

The surveyor said "Silas, we have some news for you."

"Ayup" he said.

"We've been doing a survey and found that your farm is really in the
State of NH."

Silas scratched his head as a Maine farmer is "wont ta do" and said
"By the Jesus, that's the best news I have heard in yeahs."

"Tis?" said the surveyor.

"Ayup. I don't think I could take another Maine Winter!"

from Bert and I

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209