Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite, or choke baluns?

To: "TexasRF@aol.com" <TexasRF@aol.com>,"towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite, or choke baluns?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:52:08 -0800
I would like to see your measured data for common mode impedance
vs frequency supporting that statement. There's a lot of green
smoke and mirrors in ham baluns, chokes, and ferrite parts, and
except for the stuff DXE makes, everything I've seen being sold in
the ham market is a major ripoff. My tutorial is based on
extensive research and measurements, and was written to blow that
crap away for ever.

NO "string of beads" choke "balun" is going to work very well
below 20 meters. Study my tutorial to understand why. I own a
couple of CAL-AV EB1s that I greatly regret buying. One of them
died (on a 30M dipole that never saw more than 100 watts) in a few
months. I never bothered putting the other one to use.

If you want to do a real service to hams, stock the parts listed
in Appendix 1 of my tutorial and sell them at a fair markup (not
the obscene 5X markups in place for most ham vendors of ferrite
parts).

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

--Original Message Text---
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:32:24 EST

BUT, there are certainly other ferrite choke/coax baluns that work well and
also are worth owning: