[TowerTalk] RG-6 connector issues/ rcv array

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RG-6 connector issues/ rcv array
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:19:25 +0000 (GMT)
K1TTT wrote:

"That used to be a big problem for cable tv companies
that used hardline with copper center conductors"

I had exactly that problem a while ago with the feed
to my Beverages which is several thousand feet of
copper-centre hardline. Somebody suggested (might well
have been David!) that a way round it is to put an 'S'
shaped bend in the hardline on both sides of the
connector. That worked perfectly - apparently the
extra friction round the bends makes
expansion/compression move the centre conductor
relative to the outer rather than pulling it out of
the connector, or breaking the inner. Obviously that
puts a minor impedance bump at that point, but it can
never result in an inner to outer short because of the
use of foam dielectric.

73 Roger
VE3ZI

In NE Ontario which makes Maine look tropical...