Re: [TowerTalk] Percent vs. Degree Grade - Not the same !

To: n2ic@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Percent vs. Degree Grade - Not the same !
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:18:32 -0700
Actually, for terrain purposes percent grade is much more typically
used.  You never see a road sign telling you there is an 8 degree grade
ahead ... you'll see 14 percent instead.   Percent grade is easily
measured (rise/fall over horizontal run) and easily worked with.  I
could, for example, calculate in my head the volume of dirt I'd have to
remove to achieve a certain percent grade from whatever the current
grade was, but I'd need a calculator or set of trig tables to do the
same if all I knew were the angles.  And in many cases, you measure
percent grade (since terrain slopes are almost never uniform) to get
average angle anyway.

For ham radio purposes it's a mixed bag.  Percent grade is most easily
used for entering terrain data into HFTA, but I use the angle to
subtract from the EZNEC plots I run as an estimate of what my elevation
pattern might actually be on this very long slope I live on.

I agree that there can be confusion when people are careless or don't
know the difference, but I think both have their place.  Generally
speaking, I prefer using percent grade when I actually have to
accomplish something terrain-related.

73,
Dave   AB7E
.