Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-5500

To: JMLTINC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-5500
From: jeff millar <jeff@wa1hco.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 02:03:22 -0500
We used the Yaesu elevation rotor in a contest for a 4 x 12 El 2M array
and it seemed like that was about the max. We wouldn't trust it for a
permanent installation. Yaesu rates the load in something like length
time weight...it limited to 50 IIRC. So 9 ft dish, 4.5 ft away from
center...makes for a 11 pound weight limit.

I hunted around and found this dish rotor
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/H180-Moteck-hh-motor.htm
It's got a lot more metal and doesn't cost that much. Use it with this
controller
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/PowerTech/Sadoun-V3000_GBOX_VBOXIII.htm

The controller reads +/0 950 counts corresponding to +/- 90 degrees. The
rotor closes a switch at 0 degrees for calibration.

Next contest, we're using the H180 to elevate the array. I just bolted
an aluminum plate to the dish mounting brackets to hold the H frame pipe
clamps.

jeff, wa1hco