Re: [TowerTalk] Windload at 90 mph (was: Plumbing a tower)

To: Chris Wendling <cpwendling@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Windload at 90 mph (was: Plumbing a tower)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:45:21 -0800
Chris Wendling wrote:
> Clay,
>
>     Yes, you're in the ballpark.
>
>     The formula for drag is 1/2*
> rho*velocity-squared*frontal-area*coefficient-of-drag.
>
>     I calculate about 26 lbs force for 90 mph for 1 sq-ft frontal projection
> area.
>
>     This assumes a coefficient of drag of 1.3 - typical for tubing or wire
> profiles.
>     Also, the density of the atmosphere was assumed to be at STP (standard
> temp and pressure at sea level.)
>
>     The largest error contributor to these calculations is most oftem the
> estimate of the drag coefficient-  Surface roughness, Reynolds number,
> interconnections on the tower, etc., may yeild different results.

Indeed.. I just used 1.0 for Cd for rough and ready order of magnitude.
I was thinking in terms of a tubular free standing tower (as opposed to,
say, a lattice HDBX style)    1.3 might be a reasonable number of a
smallish tube in that sort of wind, it would be near the peak in the
Cd/Reynolds number curve.  Somewhere around I have a spreadsheet that
figures this stuff out, with handy data taken from Blevins, Fluid
Dynamics Handbook.