Re: [TowerTalk] About to pull the trigger

To: "Rudy Bakalov" <r_bakalov@yahoo.com>,"Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] About to pull the trigger
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 04:20:02 -0000
From: "Rudy Bakalov" <r_bakalov@yahoo.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:35 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] About to pull the trigger

> All,
>
>  After many long months of thinking, reading, and
> exchanging countless emails with other hams, I am about to
> pull the trigger and order tons of gear. Literally.
> Naturally, I am a bit nervous, so I final sanity check
> with the reflector makes sense.  So, here we go, shoot
> holes in my plan or give it the nod:
>
>  1. AN Wireless tower, 90', heavy duty, rated at 36 sq.ft
>  2. M2 40M4LLDD at 90'
>  3. 2 x KT36XA at 100' and 60'
>  4. Prosistel PST61D + Green Heron to rotate the 40m beam
> and the upper tribander
>  5. K0XG ring rotator + Green Heron for the lower
> tribander
>  6. W3NQN bandpass filters sandwitched between 2 SO2R
> switches to provide SO2R filetring
>  7. BIP/BOP stack controller for the KT36XA tribanders
>  8. SO2R switch for all antennas
>  9. On 80m, Comtek dipole 4sqr as in
> http://www.comteksystems.com/4square6.html
>  10. On 160m, shunt feed the 90' tower
>  11. RX antennas- 2 two-way beverages
>
>  The overall objective is to build a decent single-tower
> SO2R station in VE3, about 100 miles north of Toronto.
> Due to frequent freezing rain showers + gusty winds, I am
> very concerned aboout physical strength of the set-up.
>
>  So, go or no go?
Sounds great to me, but it would be a shame to break up the
stack just to feed the second radio on 10, 15, and 20.
Another tribander in there would be great for the second
radio, something like a KT-34 on a separate little tower far
away, or a 2 el Steppir or Steppir dipole on the big tower
at 80'. The Steppir would always be on a different band, so
it wouldn't screw up the stack.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.