Re: [TowerTalk] Need Rotator

To: "Dave Sublette" <k4to@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Rotator
From: "K8RI" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 04:47:46 -0500
I use the PST-61 and like it, but there are some short comings of which you
may already be aware.
It's  good rotator, and I like the control box, at least the digital one.
(No mine is not for sale)

However: Although the rotator is rugged, the top seal is prone to failure
and the design will let water collect on the shaft where it goes through the
seal. This causes corrosion on the shaft which in turn eats up the seal
which in turn lets in water which trashes the bearing.  The top two photos
on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Gears.htm show that can happen in relatively
short time.  A bit of forethought building a cover can prevent this. The
other is the main worm gear wheel is a large brass gear pressed or cast onto
a steel mandrill. it's fragile when pressing out the inner shaft so care
must be taken not to press against the actual brass..  This gear is, or can
be difficult to obtain with the possibility of very long delivery times.
(they come from Italy) unless a replacement can be found.

I don't have the page finished yet, but hope to get the assembly and
machining photos up shortly.

Were I to choose a rotator I still like the Prosistel, but would go witht he
newer ones rather than the older. Both have tremendous torque and holding
power without using an actual brake.

BTW the complete rebuild cost me about $100 and took about 5 hours actual
working time.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)