[TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison

To: "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna comparison
From: "StellarCAT" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:08:53 -0700
Interesting.... however using EZNEC and their provided 4 SQ
model I see different results
then what your suggesting here... a DIPOLE at 136' (what I have)
out performs a 4 SQ for
all angles down to about 4 degrees! And not by a small amount.
Possibly their model is not
correct? or I am not using it properly. In practice this is what
I have found - the dipole keeps
up with 4 sq's often. It's only on LP and very long stuff that
the 4 sq tends to be better....
this of course is hard to asset as we're talking vastly
different distances on these
comparisons (not all done here or locally) .... thus my question
to the group for someone
that has done it themselves.

I would agree that if you had the yagi up higher - say 45M you
would see better performance.
However I would be careful about going any higher than this as,
as I am sure you know,
 that lobe at 90 really starts to grow rapidly... wasted energy.

The conclusion seems to be heavily waited towards the 4 SQ
end... somewhat biased by the
human nature feeling: it's good because I can't have the other
(a yagi)... those that have a
yagi often seem to suggest it IS the way to go... real estate is
not something I have a great
deal of here (4A with the current tower centered so not a whole
lot of room left for
anything :>). Having both however would be nice....hmmmmm....

but I believe most have to agree: having a 2el 80 meter yagi
- that monster up there - is (would be) a real grinner!

g.
K9RX