[TowerTalk] De-soldering old, & Sold'g New, Flex-Weave,etc. Tips by DAVI

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] De-soldering old, & Sold'g New, Flex-Weave,etc. Tips by DAVIS RF Co.
From: "Steve Davis -Davis RF Co." <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:18:06 -0500
The following not only addresses cleaning of aged, bare, Flex-Weave Tm (168
strand # 14 AWG and 259 strand # 12 AWG), but also provides an easy to do tip
to protect solder joints that you make when using new Flex-Weave Tm (or other
less stranded or solid wires) for aerial building.  Again, this refers to bare
wire situations, but when soldering jacketed aerial wire you would use this tip
also on your solder joints.  We will soon be including the information herein
on our web site and with every Flex-Weave Tm order.

Plumbing supply stores and some retailers like Home Depot carry "Plumbers
Acid".  Or, obtain Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) but be sure you have gloves that are
rated for HCl and also wear safety glasses.   As the labels tell you:  fumes
can be toxic to the lungs, so you must be in a well ventilated area.   There
are also water diluted HCl's out there but I have not tried them (industrial
HCl itself contains about 65% water as is without further dilution).  Others
have mentioned using "Copper Glo Liquid", but I have not tried it.

Soak the end of the wire that you are cleaning in the acid for about 10 minutes
and then use a small wire brush to brush the area you want clean.  Go in one
direction:  toward the end of the wire, with the brush.  The oxidation on the
fine wires will come off.  Dip it back in the acid a few times after brushing
it, swish in hot water then wipe it by pulling it through a rag.  Allow to dry
for about an hour, or set it in the flow of a muffin fan, or use a hair dryer.
Then final form it with your fingers and tin it with your iron or gun.

That will do it.   NOTE:  Whenever soldering new, old or cleaned Flex-Weave Tm,
once soldered put some silicone grease over the whole solder joint  and an inch
or so on the wire to either side of the joint.  Then put any waterproof (not
"moisture proof") UV resistant tape (such as Scott or AMP Fusion Tape or Coax
Seal Tm) over the solder joint (do not use PVC electrical tape, it will not
hold up over time).    This will allow you to deal with the solder joint in the
future, if ever need be, without oxidation build up.

Bottom line, if you are in an area of high acid rain levels, or salt air
environment, it is best to use a jacketed version of Flex-Weave Tm (either PVC
or PE is available), in order to have a very long lasting antenna.  Also, at
less cost is the option of tinned Flex-Weave Tm, for the same environments but
tinned wire is not as strong a barrier to oxidation.

 We also carry all the other favorite aerial wires such as lesser stranded soft
and hard drawn copper, bare or insulated, and copper clad steel.  Also
available is stranded / insulated copper clad steel.  Please see our web site
at www.DavisRF.com

I hope that this is of some help.

Tnx, 73,  Steve Davis   K1PEK   DAVIS RF Co.

978-369-1738

www.DavisRF.com

sdavis@DavisRF.com

Where Customer Satisfaction is our Premier Goal

~ Davis RF Co., Div. of Orion Wire Co.,Inc.
Distribution to numerous industries,  Andrew
Heliax; Times Microwave LMR; RFS Celwave and others.
Cable design engineering. RF Peripherals.
www.davisRF.com
Tel: 1-800-328-4773 (1-800-DAVIS RF) Tech'l: 1-978-369-
1738, Fax: 1-978-369-3484

~ DAVIS/ORION Marine Wire and Cable Co., Distribution and Design: UL/USCG
Marine Stds.  Tel: 877-242-2253  Fax: 603-787-2221 (Direct tel to Steve Davis:
978-369-1738 or Fax: 978-369-3484)

~Orion Wire Co., Inc., Design Engineers of Specialty/Custom Cable
Tel: 1-800-328-4773, 1-603-787-2200 Fax 1-603-787-2221,
email: j_stimson@davis-orionwiregroup.com
www.davisRF.com