Re: [TowerTalk] Help Solving Problem with Inv-L Antennas

To: "Eric Rosenberg" <wd3q@starpower.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help Solving Problem with Inv-L Antennas
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:31:29 -0500
>there might have been water
>migration, although I'm not sure what the indicator of water migration
>is and ow I test for it?

Certainly not transmitter lockup! Anyway, you could strip off the
jacket from your coax on 80 and 160 and probably not even notice the
extra loss until it went all green and crusty ... SWR problems and
extra loss would be the symptoms.

 I can't imagine going from having no RF feedback problems at QRO
levels (which I think you have, right?) to having major problems at
<100W unless something weird happened with the ground system or
station connections inside.

How much power were you running before?  You seemed to be doing well
in the 160 contest...

I'd double check the connections to the ground radials (by the way,
are they on-ground or elevated?) There's a small possibility that the
ground system could get disconnected but you could still have the coax
shield giving enough of a ground to get an OK SWR?  It's a long shot
but the shield-as-your-only-ground on 160 would certainly explain
major RF feedback.

73,
Dan
N3OX