Re: [TowerTalk] RG8X rf power levels?

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG8X rf power levels?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:38:14 -0800
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:28:39 -0800, Jim Lux wrote:

>There's quite a few kinds of coax going under the name "RG-8X",
>so the datasheet may or may not help.

As usual, Jim Lux has provided the best answers to your
question. To expand on the statement above, the RG-numbers are
VERY generic, essentially specifying the SIZE and impedance of
the cables, and little more. You'll find at least 4 dozen RG59s
and a third as many RG6s in the Belden catalog, each optimized
for a different use -- everything from indoor baseband video to
indoor MATV to outdoor CATV cables and transmitting coax.
Because RG8X is mostly used for transmitting applications, there
are far fewer variations of it. Last I looked, The Wireman had
two in his catalog.

FWIW, I've run The Wireman's CQ118 (low loss RG8X foam) and
Belden 8263 (RG59) at the 1,000 - 1,200 w level on HF for a year
or more with no problems. I later replaced them with RG8 and
RG11 for the lower loss of the bigger cables, not the higher
power rating. The RG59 was on a 160/80/40 dipole that was tuned
to the CW end of the bands, but I operated with pretty high SWRs
during phone contests.

On several occasions, W8JI has observed that he uses an RG6 to
feed his high dipoles at full legal power.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC