Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?

To: Glenn Thorne <gathorne@traer.net>, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?
From: Bill MacLane <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 02:05:59 -0800 (PST)
The commercial stations where I have worked have the towers protected at each
tower to the ground system. The transmitters are also grounded to the ground
system.  Surge protectors are on the power at the service entrance, grounded at
the service entrance and bonded to the ground system to meet requirements of
the NEC.  A,M. towers are protected with arc gaps and un-tuned F.M. are
directly grounded with ground straps to the ground system

At my QTH I do the same.  I also have surge protectors throughout the house on
electronics items.  These are not the cheap chineese kind, but good ones that
have more than an MOV or capacitor in them.  Most are active line
conditioners/surge protectors.

Remember surge protectors are just that. Protection against line surges.  There
are also line sags that can damage equipment. Lightning protection is to
prevent or reduce damage caused by lightining.

Glenn Thorne <gathorne@traer.net> wrote: I've seen descriptions and pictures of
installations where lightning arrestors were installed in a weather proof box
at the tower base and others where they are at the house entrance.  Which is
better?

I plan on having the coax shied grounded at the top of the tower, bottom of the
tower and at the house entrance.  But where is the best place to put lightning
arrestors?  The run from the tower to the house will be about 30 ft. and will
be buried.

Thanks,

73, Glenn/KD0Q

Bill