Re: [TowerTalk] Q on guyed rotating towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jimjarvis@optonline.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Q on guyed rotating towers
From: <kr7x1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:29:59 -0600 (CST)
Jim/Arthur:

Rotating towers tubular/cantilevered like berthas or triangular trussed like
Rohn with rotating guy rings need to have some point fixed against rotation
somewhere in their height to develop the resistance to allow the mechanism that
rotates them to work. This is also the place that resists any torsion applied
to the tower system by external forces,i.e., eccentric wind load on the
antennas.

The torque is usually resisted by the rotating mechanism be it a gear and chain
or direct coupled system. This is the fixity that both resists the torque and
allows the tower to rotate.

The tower structure itself (tube or triangular trussed section) has to transmit
this torque force say from the antenna location to the point of resistance.
Tubular towers do it thru hoop stress and trussed triangular towers thru the
diagnol members.

Dick Weber, K5IU, published a paper a while back in QEX, I believe, on the
effects of torsion on towers and how to mitigate it.

IF you dont have a mechanism to resist the torsion created in the tower, it
would not turn or it would spin like a top.

I don't know of any brake mechanism that is utilized at the rotating guy rings
to keep the tower from rotating.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
H.S. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E.