Re: [TowerTalk] hose clamps and end caps

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hose clamps and end caps
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:26:49 -0500 (EST)
I'm sorry my previous comment about stainless steel screws was
unclear.  I'll try again.

Yagi builders commonly use rivets, self-tapping stainless steel
screws, or hose clamps to join and secure telescoped aluminum tubing.  In each
case, the fasteners draw the tubes together and increase the pressure between
the tubes in the vicinity of the fastener.

Increased pressure reduces the RF resistance of the joint, especially
when NoAlox or other similar materials are used to control oxidation.

There's a common misconception that RF current flows through the
rivet or stainless steel screw; however, skin effect prevents the flow
of RF current through any fastener that penetrates the tubing.

In a well constructed joint, skin effect confines RF current flow to
the location where the tip of the larger tube tightly contacts the
smaller diameter tube.  The RF resistance of the joint will increase
if the joint becomes loose or significantly oxidized, despite the
presence of a fastener that penetrates the tubing.

73
Frank
W3LPL