Re: [TowerTalk] Any hands on experience with 40m loop?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any hands on experience with 40m loop?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:23:37 -0700
For about a year I used a 40m vertical loop with the apex at 55 feet,
fed at the bottom and kite-shaped to give a 50 ohm feedpoint impedance.
It was simple to support and worked well, and like all full wave loops
had the advantage of tuning reasonably on 20m (and of course 15m).  I
never did a direct comparison to a half-wave dipole (probably not
possible to avoid invalidating interactions if done with the same
support anyway), but as you say modeling shows a dipole at the same
height beating the loop.  After about a year I switched to multiple
dipoles with separate feedlines.

If you want multiple bands with one antenna the loop may be the better
choice, but otherwise I'd stick with the dipole.

Take care es 73,
Dave   AB7E