Re: [TowerTalk] ANTENNA HEIGHT

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, "'David Gilbert'" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ANTENNA HEIGHT
From: "W3JK" <w3jk@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:53:30 -0400
I am surrounded on all 4 sides by trees taller (less than 100 ft away from
the tower) and yet I am loud from my qth. I open and close bands to EU when
stations in EU say that I am the only one from the states side they can
hear. So much for tress being a factor. Take a look at other operators that
have buried their vertical antenna next to a tree or hung a dipole off of 2
trees. Lets get over this tree myth. If there is some attenuation as
claimed, its probably negligible to none that would impact anything.
Bottom line, use the HFTA software and understanding your best height.
Whether you use a Steppir or a monobander, your height at your qth based on
the terrain is the right answer.

I heard another response where someone said " A SteppIR will work wonders,
and the tower height should of little impact". Its like saying if you use
the steppir but hang it out of your window, it will do magic !!!!!. What a
ball of wax !!!

Whether it's a Steppir or a monobander, height is everything and determines
your takeoff angle from your qth. Best reading is the ARRL Antenna book and
sections on HFTA.

Good luck.