Re: [TowerTalk] Weather/water proofing aluminum tube ends

To: Jeff Carter <towertalk@hidden-valley.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weather/water proofing aluminum tube ends
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:03:37 -0400
Jeff Carter wrote:
> Does it matter that during the summer the seals will be pointed
> straight into the sun during a portion of the day?
>
> I don't have any experience with silicone in a direct UV environment,
> so pardon the question if it's stupid.  What sort do I want, the clear
> silicone like is used with aquariums?

Out in the open as long as it isn't used in a massive quantity it should
make little difference. (IOW) don't pack traps full of the regular
stuff.   Silastic Brand RTV (TM) and all others (AFAIK) are not affected
to any extent by UV. However the plastic end caps, tubing, and pipe caps
are easily degraded by UV exposure.

Roger (K8RI)