Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Permits

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jcowens1@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Permits
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:02:55 EDT

In a message dated 3/23/2008 5:01:21 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Consider yourself lucky, but not necessarily wise. My tower  cost $3000 to
install with crane services, concrete pumping,  hole  digging, and other
expenses, and I wasn't willing to roll the dice and take a  chance of loosing
that
investment. If you try and ignore city codes and they  catch you, they can
make you remove it which is also costly, and you can bet  it would be more
difficult to get the permit after trying to avoid the codes  the first time.

    My experience has been that you can retro a  permit IF you've constructed
it per the factory/PE specs. Document everything  (pictures of the depth of
the hole, rebar cage, invoices for rebar,  concrete, etc.) and submit it with
your permit application.

    The fine is typically a small percentage  (e.g. 1 or 2%) of the value of
the project so in this case the fine would  be $30 to $60.

>  Your displeased neighbors or another ham that doesn't like  you will
eventually rat on you. I don't consider this good advice to  follow.

        This is about the only way  you can get busted - that is if a
neighbor complains to the building department.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams